A Michigan craft brewery is gearing up to launch a new series of beers that’s truly out of this world.
Beginning next month, Bell’s Brewing will unveil its new Planets Series, a collection of seven beers inspired by the work of English composer Gustav Holst. Each beer will be based on a movement from Holst’s magnum opus The Planets. The piece’s movements all correspond with a different planet in our solar system, as well as the planets’ astrological associations.
"Our two most successful brands come from a couple of my great literary references. This time, I took inspiration from a great piece of music,” said Larry Bell, Bell’s president and founder.
Mars, The Bringer of War, the first beer in the series, will make its debut in August. A new beer in the series will drop about every two months, with the final contribution launching in July 2015. The limited edition series will be released in six packs as well as on draft in Bell’s distribution areas. Check out a full list of the beers in series below.
1. Mars, The Bringer of War (August 2014) – Double IPA
2. Venus, The Bringer of Peace (October 2014) – Blonde Ale brewed with honey, apricot, vanilla and cardamom
3. Mercury, The Winged Messenger (December 2014) – Belgian Single
4. Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity (February 2015) – Malt forward Brown Ale
5. Saturn, The Bringer of Old Age (April 2015) – Bourbon Barrel-aged Barleywine
6. Uranus, The Magician (May 2015) – Black Double IPA
7. Neptune, The Mystic (July 2015) – Mystical Stout